Standard Post with Image

NTPC to Continue Power Supply to BSES Discoms

  • Delhi's power regulator DERC asked the state-run NTPC not to snap supply of power to Reliance Infrastructure-backed BSES discoms till next Monday for failing to clear dues of over Rs195 crore.The Delhi Electricity Regulator Commission (DERC), after going through replies of BSES discoms to a showcause notice issued by it last month, decided to ask Delhi government to put forth its views on the issue of the discoms' financial constraints before a final decision is taken."We have decided to direct NTPC not to discontinue power supply to BSES. We have decided to hear Delhi government's opinion on the issue and a final decision may be taken on Monday," DERC sources said.
  • DERC had slapped notices on BSES discoms BYPL and BRPL on November 25 asking why their licenses should not be suspended for failing to pay huge dues to generation and transmission companies.Asked whether DERC has jurisdiction over NTPC, a DERC member said as per Delhi Electricity Act, the regulator has the power to issue such directives. The issue of BSES discoms facing financial difficulties and DERC's notice to them also figured in a Cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. No concrete decision was, however, taken in the meeting, sources said.
  • The combined consumer base of BYPL and BRPL is around 27 lakh and the two companies distribute power in nearly 70 % of total areas in the city. In the notice, DERC, invoking provisions of Section 24 of the Electricity Act, 2003, had said if the Commission was not satisfied with replies by the discoms, it may appoint an administrator to discharge the functions of the licensees.Both the discoms submitted their replies to the regulator today in which they presented their financial status reflecting difficulties meeting increasing operational expenses due to high power procurement cost.

Source